Monday, February 1, 2010

Couch 2 5K - Day 1

I started the "Couch to 5K"  training program from coolrunning.com today.  It is supposed to gradually take you from basically being totally out of shape (yep, that's me) to being able to run a 5K in two months.   I actually ran a 5K with my daughter about a year ago, but then stopped running - probably trying to do too much too soon.

Today's routine consisted of alternating jogging and walking for 20 minutes, plus warm up and cool down time.  I covered about 2 miles in the 30 minutes that I was out.  And I feel pretty good other than a sore hip on the side that I was holding the dog leash on. (He's part husky and must think hes a sled dog because he pulls.  Anyone have any tips on training a dog to behave on the leash??? ) 

I felt like I could have probably done a bit more jogging and less walking, but since the C25K program has three warnings about "skipping ahead" and "doing too much too soon" on the intro page, I just stuck with the plan.   Trying to start too fast is probably one of the reasons I've been having a hard time sticking with running the last couple of years.

And I found a very cool little widget on dailymile.com that is a mile tracker.  See the left side bar. 
So my plan is to post my workouts on here so that I will hopefully stick with it.

I am also going to be starting an arm workout as soon as I get my "training plan" from my husband (hint, hint, reminder, if you're reading Sweetie)

0 comments:

Post a Comment